Monday, October 8, 2007

Reaction to Rene Decartes: Discourse on Method, Optics, Geometry, and Meteorology

This Text is pertinent to what experiences I have had in Graduate school thus far. Getting an MFA one is expected to hold a mirror up to the self inorder to develope their work. From gained experiences and previous knowledge gathered in undergraduate a body of artistic work is expected to arise . From this point one is expected to mold oneself and search for truth within theis own frame of existence. Decartes expresses his gratitude for his time as a youth he spent researching---but it seemed like for him the more he read and improved his knowledge the less he really understood. That is when he had the epiphany that he must turn his studies inward. This is when he truly began to understand his being.
It appears from this reading that he is trying to discern God's role Comparitively to geometry specifically the triangle one with three perfect sides---this is how he imagines God and rationalizes/imagines him.
I found it beneficial to read the section concerning ideas. Much of the time in my own work I feel a bit self conscious and riduculous to say the least----Maybe I am interpreting him wrong but Decartes states that if we come from God and God is perfect and our ideas come from us if there is any confusion or obscurity it is something within ourselves---we need to be introspective to cure or come to terms with whatever is hindering our creative thought processes. That is what I gather from this text --I find it optimistic to think in this way. I enjoy the style in which Decartes writes as well it is very visual making suggestions of shapes and colors for me atleast makes the literature more pleasurable.

No comments: