Monday, October 1, 2007

reaction to leigh gilmore autobiographies

Gilmore really relies upon Zami Lordes work A New Spelling of My Name. This author has both the issue of being a woman, black and her sexual preference. She claims to want to have the best qualities from both her mother and father wanting to know what it is to be both male and female.

I think that it is interesting that when looking at a piece of art work one is inclined to speculate the gender of its creator. Sometimes its a rather exciting guessing game trying to decipher and decode particular cues associated with the work being feminine or masculine. Usually bulky steel, welded metal sheeting, lathed wood, stoneware sculptures I tend to assume they were made by a male artist. PIeces done on fabric using solf hues or ---slip casting or thrown vessels I associate with the female. A lot of the time I guess wrong but always in the back of my mind my curiosity and assumptions I try to justify. Is this what GIlmore is referring to when she relates the autobiographer with the interpretations of the reader?

No comments: