Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Reaction to Michelle Citron's : Home Movies and Other Necessary Fictions

Interesting to see the correlation between this work and that of Hershman. They seem to both be self destructive, have a tendency towards a depressed disposition, as well as had a male family member abuse them. There must be some relation to the medium of film being utilized for the process of 'confession' in hopes of moving forward. These woman as well have in common the use of bing eating as a way to punish and deal with strong emotion otherwise unthwarted. "I stood outside my body and watched myself abuse it. I knew my behavior was a sign of a deep disturbance, but I couldn't name it, nor could I stop myself" (Citron). This text is so reminiscent of Hershman's Electronic Diary I would not be able to decipher the one responsible for it. Citrons text further explains her film Daughter Rite which is beneficial to understand the context of the home videos a bit more of the history behind it and why these snipits are significant to her story. I dont understand why the title of this has the term 'fiction' just how fictional is it?

No comments: