Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Post 1 For Final Presentation

My current studies/title is Master of Fine Arts Candidate with an emphasis in Ceramics and a minor in printmaking. This is the first semester of my second year. I have been given a studio and am expected at the end of every semester to have produced a substantial body of work. I am to present and 'defend' this work in front of a review committee which consists of the entire studio art faculty. This is meant to demonstrate a continuation of the previous semesters work as well as a display a further challenge and investigation/understanding of the medium at hand. Although I partake in a substantial amount of clay work ----this semester I have been formulating different casting slip bodies going to cone 10 (2435 degrees F), learning how to load and operate an atmospheric kiln, as well as incorporating my printmaking with ceramic work cohesively. Simultaneously I feel the ‘impulse’ to draw and paint as I have always felt compelled since youth.
Now why am I telling you all this?
I think this information will provide the class with a back drop for this research. I think that my choice of topic for this final presentation reveals a bit about me---autobiographically speaking.
My topic overview:
In my talk I want to discuss the Autobiographical Impulse in terms of mark making in visual arts----The repetitive almost compulsive way in which some visual artist manifest themselves through the action of decorative motif on surface. Because of my own methodologies and work process I feel compelled and interested in this subject matter and think that much of our in class discussions and text is applicable in researching and understanding this topic.

No comments: