Friday, December 14, 2007

Robert Lyon Interview

Leslie Hinton
Arth555/film555
Dr. Cooley
Interview with Robert Lyons
December 2007



LH: what is your studio environment like? How do you interact with the space-behave with the space?

RL: At this point in my career I can afford to have my own studio that is connected to my home. This allows me a great deal of freedom/independence. In graduate school at times it was difficult to work when there was so much activity. I was a lab tech as well. I really need solitude.

LH: Do you have any ‘rituals’ that take place before you begin your creation process?

RL: usually I meditate by sweeping the floor of my studio or by taking long walks—I just need time to be alone and to think.

LH: So basically your saying that you want to get lost in your work—consumed by it? Can you tell by any sort of physiological consequences when you haven’t worked for a substantial amount of time?

RL: It’s my life---it’s what I do, it’s how I connect to myself and to the workd. If I’m not working my hands do tend to become anxious and antsy.

LH: In what way do you use repetition in your work if any? You usually do make series why do you think you work in this way?

RL: Yes repetition has always been important---I think this stems from my minimalist approach. Early on when I began working with clay I would grid out the surface by implementing nails--now when I am working on the lathe I make similar marks by using hand turn ‘wooden stakes’ and making a pattern.

LH: You have said before that you were at one time a painter why did you switch to sculpture?

RL: I guess I just think more three dimensionally---rather than flat ---I enjoy the tactile qualities of sculptural materials. My groupings of work each have their own level of discovery. I try to stay really open to ideas and mediums. What greatly excites me is using new materials and seeing how they react to the process I ensue on them. If I don’t like it I have no problem taking it to the dumpster.

No comments: